Picking a wedding photographer is no easy task, you have probably tried simply google searching ‘Eugene Wedding Photographer’ to find often outdated pages or a jumble of photographers you simply don’t fit with. Their style might not be what you imagined for your wedding day and you are unsure of their track record is and how many of their couples are happy with their work.
This is the very reason websites like ‘WeddingWire.com exist, if you haven’t heard, it is esentially a yelp for wedding professionals where you can search by name, by profession and by location to find lists of professionals who have a sample of their work, customer reviews and descriptions of their process. This is a fantastic route for those of you who don’t want to spend hours and hours searching the internet.
Another great way to research your photographer is to ask around, search around and compile a list of your favorite photogs in the area and take some time to comb through their website and their facebook. From a Facebook Business Page you are able to see reviews and interaction between the photographer and their clients. Finding someone who has positive reviews, fast response times and a fun personality will ensure you are looking at the right person.
Once you’ve narrowed down your search to just a few people, take a moment to email them and ask to meet up in person. A very quick way to a photographers heart right off the bat is to send them an email that is personal and kind. Tell them about your wedding (location, date, theme, # of guests) and ask them about their availability on that date and ask to schedule a time to meet. Asking only about their rates and/or sending a one sentence email can be impersonal and sends the message you don’t care as much about style, skill or creative ability, just price.
Once you’ve set up a time and place to meet, your photographer will have tons and fantastic information to share, maybe even a little packet or magazine to show you images, rates, packages and some fantastic wedding information to help your planning process.
While meeting with your photographer, you will want to ask plenty of questions but also chat casually about your wedding, this will allow you to get to know one another and to share your excitement about your wedding plans so far. He/She may also have some great wedding planning tips or vendor recommendations!
Some great things to ask about:
- How quickly will images and products be done after the engagement session and the wedding
- Do they have a contract (important, don’t book a photographer without a contract agreement between the two of you)
- What is their typical wedding coverage, do they offer full day or a set number of hours, what if the wedding runs long?
- Ask them to describe their style and their wedding day process
- What is their policy should they be ill or unable to make it to the wedding, know their backup plan
- Ask about their editing style, will all images be color corrected and touched up?
- Make sure they have insurance!
- Ask about their back up equipment, they should always have backups and high quality professional equipment
- How many weddings will they shoot on the weekend of my wedding
- Will they bring a second shooter or an assistant?
- How many images will you be able to expect from your wedding
- How images are delivered; CD, DVD, thumbdrive or prints?
- What is the cancellation policy
Make sure they have their bases covered, are professionals and you feel confident they will deliver images you love.
Having a great photographer you can rely on will give you one less thing to worry about on your wedding day.
Good luck and happy planning!